NEW DELHI – New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardenne announced on Wednesday that 40 people were killed and more than 20 seriously wounded by gunfire targeting two mosques in Christchurch.
Arden said: Four people were arrested extremists were not on any list of surveillance, adding: It was decided to raise the degree of security threat to the highest level.
In turn, New Zealand police called on all mosques in the country to close their doors until further notice and refrain from attending mosques now.
For his part, Australian Prime Minister Sikon Morrison described the attack on the two mosques as a terrorist act and wrote in a tweet that the bomber was an extremist terrorist.
Earlier in the day, New Zealand’s Christchurch saw shooting at the first two mosques on Denis Street and the second on Lynwood Street.
Police said the accident left 40 people dead and dozens injured, noting that they had arrested four suspects in the attack.
The Russian Embassy in New Zealand, according to the preliminary data, said there were no Russian nationals among the victims, while at the same time more data were being verified.